About the Position
CNote uses technology to empower individuals and institutions to further economic equality, racial justice, gender equity, and address climate change with their capital. The engineering team is looking for an experienced Senior Backend Engineer to work on our platform, simplifying ESG investing to help reduce the wealth gap.
You will work primarily on the backend of the overall application, but will have opportunities to contribute to the full platform. You will get deep into the backend implementation of features, including the database, APIs, and at the same time, ensure we are following the best-of-breed approach across the stack. You will be taking ownership of features and develop them with scalability and flexibility in mind as we develop and iterate our platform. You will work closely with the rest of the engineering team, as well as product and business teams, to ensure our product provides value to our impact investors and community financial partners. This role reports to the head of engineering.
As a smaller team, we’re all generalists and work together on challenges. When it comes to technology, we’re looking to work with people who can pick up a problem and solve it. We expect you to provide guidance to the rest of the team when it comes to technology, architecture, and trade offs between short and long term design decisions.
What You’ll Achieve
- Work with product and engineering teams to build new features, focusing on the backend
- Lead architecture and design of new features working with the rest of the team
- Build tools to support simplicity and productivity for the whole company
- Contribute to growth of engineering team, culture, and processes
- Work across the entire tech stack to improve infrastructure, performance, processes, and code
- Lead the architecture, design and development of features from the backend perspective
- Bring in best practices and designs to ensure a scalable and maintainable platform
- Lead design and development of new core APIs, services and backend logic
- Be self-sufficient and take responsibility for delivering projects to production
- Work closely with front end developers to implement complete solutions
- Provide mentorship to team members and participate in process improvements
- Seeking a remote-first role working with people who care deeply about their impact on local communities
- Comfortable debugging and have an appetite to refactor code and follow best practices
- Experience with backend development tools and frameworks (Node)
- Experience working with front end frameworks (React, Vue) and systems
- Experience with relational databases (MySQL) schema design and optimizations
- Understand when to favor pragmatism over perfection and vice versa
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Ability to collaborate in a team-based environment while understanding and solving technical issues with independent discretion
- Effective oral and written communication and interpersonal skills (English)
- Expert attention to detail and follow-up skills; customer-focused and results-oriented attitude
- Willingness and belief in continuous improvement and learning
- Open, inclusive mindset
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic, fluid start-up environment
Our Current Stack Includes
- Node, MySQL, Redis
- Company-paid health benefits, including medical, dental, and vision
- Unlimited PTO, with a minimum of 14 days off required annually
- 401(k), with company match, after 6 months of employment
- Highly collaborative and flexible remote work environment with a fully distributed team
- Quarterly wellness stipend
- Professional development opportunities
Compensation will be commensurate with experience and include an equity stake in CNote.
Information will be requested to perform a compulsory background check. Permanent authorization to work in the U.S. is a precondition of employment.
CNote (mycnote.com) is a women-led FinTech firm on a mission to close the wealth gap in the United States through financial innovation. Using the power of technology and a community-first framework, CNote empowers individuals and institutions to efficiently invest in fixed income and cash deposit products at scale to further economic equality, racial justice, gender equity, and address climate change with their capital. As part of its offering, CNote delivers regular reporting on the social impact of deposits and investments made through its platform. Every dollar invested on CNote’s platform funds female- and minority-led small businesses, affordable housing and economic development through its nationwide network of mission-driven banks and credit unions. A certified B Corporation backed by venture firms and angel investors, CNote was named “Best for the World” by B Lab and was named “Best Women-Owned Business” by the United Nations’ Women’s Empowerment Principles program.
CNote embraces diversity and is committed to co-creating a positive, inclusive work culture for all employees by recruiting, developing and retaining the most talented people from all backgrounds and experiences, who challenge each other’s assumptions with fresh perspectives. CNote is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that prohibits unlawful discrimination or prejudice of any kind based upon race, religion, national origin, family status (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as an individual with a disability.